Thursday 24 April 2014

National Road Series Adelaide round 1



April saw the start of the 2014 National Road Series with the girls heading to Adelaide for the first round. Three BCS women were on the start list: Lauretta Hanson, Tayla Evans and myself. Everybody was in high spirits after the teams meeting upon arrival, and looking forward to the coming days. 

Thursday was a glorious day in Angaston for Stage 1 of the tour, an 85km road race. Lauretta didn’t think so though, waking up with the flu. Nevertheless, she stood on the start line ready and waiting. Tough as. The gun went off, and so did the neutral car. It was all pretty tame until the second pinchy climb, where Lauretta put the flu aside and attacked, dropped the peloton and soloed for the next 35km. A huge effort! Specialized Securitor and Holden got organised and started to roll turns to reel her back in, but Tayla and I ensured that the pace didn't get too high. In the end the peloton caught her approximately 7km from the infamous corkscrew. Here I was, dagging at the back while the peloton descended at high speed down the Gorge Road, I mean, the scenery! Spectacular! In all seriousness though, they had the pedal to the floor down that road until we turned left and onto the corkscrew. I had never been over the corkscrew. I have only ever been past the turnoff. I would eye it with caution and continue on my painless merry way and leave it lurking there in a back corner of my conscience. This day I had to face it. Cadell did it in the big ring, how hard could it be right? Wrong. It was like a slap in the face. The first few hairpins almost stop you dead in your tracks. Tayla did a fantastic job, disappearing up the road with the best hill climbers. Lauretta and I paced away, tap tap tap until the top. I took off on the downhill to catch Nic Whitburn, and crossed the line about mid way through the peloton. Results: Tayla 18th, Lauretta 40th and myself 34th. A fantastic ride by Talya, and Lauretta’s reward of the ‘Most Aggressive Rider’ Jersey was well deserved. 




Day two stage 2 was another road race this time at Woodside. Two laps of a 51km circuit which would include four sections of dirt. Alas, it is cobblestone season! The start/finish at Bird in Hand Winery was spectacular. No time for taste testing though, we had a job to do. Lauretta unfortunately was far too ill to continue the tour, so it was up to Tayla and I. The race was relatively tame, even up the first KOM. The race didn’t break apart until the end of the first lap, at the dirt sections. We were riding along nicely, when suddenly we veered left, and straight onto dirt. The first section was ridden at approximately 45-50km/hr downhill, and flat tires were rife. I got caught behind riders who were flatting, and fell behind. Tayla was right on their heels though. I dropped off approximately 800m by the end of the dirt, and set my mind to catch up. No sooner had I caught them that they were gearing up for the intermediate sprint. I searched for Tayla, sat on the front, and drove it. Everybody else was rather impatient though, and they took off around me. Tayla took off in a valiant effort, but it was a long way out. That left me there thinking, oh crap, I’ve got to sprint! I stuck to Nic Whitburn’s wheel like glue, and ended up coming fourth. They attacked soon after the sprint, and Tayla got in a largish breakaway. Shame it didn't stick. By the 85km mark Flick Wardlaw was off the front to take the stage win. Results: Tayla 11th and me 26th. Happy with that!

cycling aus video re cap stage 2 

Stage 3 was a criterium in Adelaide around UniSA North Terrace. It was raced so early we nearly had to have lights. The light was the least of my concerns; I was more panicking about the bloody steep hill someone had decided to install along one side of the course. For those who don't know me, I climb like an elephant. Tough course. The gun went off, the heart rate went up and I fought to the front. Usually, get to the climb first, then by the time your up it your at the back, not off the back. Theory: wrong. We hit the hill and I went backwards. Lap 2, I fought to the front, got to the hill, went to the back. Fight, hill, and repeat. Tayla was spectacular and was climbing like a mountain goat, perfectly positioning herself the whole race. Time to change tactics. I began to give myself room at the back, hit the corner before the climb so damn quick I was running up the rear of the leaders by halfway up the hill. Meanwhile riders were getting dropped left right and centre, and I will mention the spectacular crash by a Holden rider who went headfirst at 40km/hr into a tree. That stage hurt like hell. I stuck in there till the end and finished with the main bunch. Results: Tayla 14th and me 32nd. 


Day four and the final stage was a Kermesse at Newton. Tayla and I began by riding the course. Lots of road furniture, a bit technical at times. We thought it was going to be tough. Nik and Lauretta had warned that it was a circuit, which made it hard to move up. They were right. The field sorted itself out within the first few laps. Apparently nobody was getting away. Lets just say, that was probably the best fun I have ever had in a race. Legs felt amazing, technical suits me, and I had a ball. Tayla again rode well, and we were both in the main bunch for a sprint at the end. Results: Tayla 11th and me 18th. 


girls waiting to start stage 4 


What a fantastic tour! We had a ball. Tayla finished 14th on GC and I finished 20th. A very special mention goes to Nik for her managerial skills, Marc the wonder mechanic and chief Prado driver, Heather the accommodation manager and support staff member, and Lauretta for not dying of the flu even though we know she wanted too. I learned so much about my team and myself at the tour. I am forever gaining confidence, which I attribute to my new coach and this fantastic team and its members! We are now looking forward to Tour of South West. Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment