Thursday 23 October 2014

Tour of Goldfields the last NRS of the year


The BCS team made the trek down to Ballarat for the last NRS of the season. Spirits were high, and the riders were all looking forward to the days ahead.

We arrived at Vons parents house which was beautiful! We were counting our lucky stars that her mum and dad had opened their beautiful home to us. Such great people, an absolute pleasure to be around. Tactics were discussed, carbohydrates consumed, and off to bed after an exciting bedtime story of Shane Millers trip to Fiji, which sounded amazing! Very jealous.

A crisp morning awaited us on Friday. It was a slow start, as the first stage wasn't until 3pm that afternoon. We went for a reccie of the crit course, and dropped in on Gove Cycles and Cafe for a chat and one of the best soy lattes I have ever had.

Back to business once we got home, preparations started and we were kept busy, which helped calm the nerves too. We knew that it was a tough course, there were some classy riders expected to light it up, and also a few riders who were on form coming out of Oceania Track Champs, so it was due to be a high pace race.

We got to Victoria Park, signed on, warmed up and before we knew it we were on our warmup lap. Tension was high in the bunch, a lot of nervous and eager wheels, and there was nearly a crash on the warmup lap while we were under control. This was going to be interesting. Bang and the gun went off for our 20 lap race of the 2km circuit, so pretty much 60 minutes of racing to be had. The pace ramped up and up. It was hectic in the bunch, the way a crit like this should be, although as the laps went on and the pace kept up, people started to get desperate and cut wheels, bumping and scraping. I will admit I was a little put off by all this, and it took a while to settle into the rhythm of the race. I found more and more confidence as the race went on. I made the mistake at the start of going out to early. Someone attacked and I jumped across, burned a few bikkies there, and then before my heart rate had fully recovered from that, I had a roll on past the leaders out of one of the corners, so I used it and attacked again. Burned a few more bikkies that I later realised I kinda needed. At only 10 mins into the crit I had put myself into the box, and was so lucky I had Von and Nikolina egging me on and raised the moral. And even more lucky that Tayla towed me back to the front of the bunch to make it easier on me. What I found throughout the race, and this is one of the benefits (or sometimes dis-benefits) of having a power meter, is that no matter where you were in that race, it was the same wattage and therefore effort out of every corner. If you were down the back of the bunch, you were kicking big watts out of every corner to play catch ups, and if you were at the front, the girls had such explosive power that you were still doing the same big watts to kick with them. A great experience nonetheless, to see just how powerful some of the riders are. I was pretty happy when I heard the final lap bell go off, and finished in the main bunch with Tayla and Nikolina. I rolled a recovery lap, licking my wounds, flicking through my Garmin I nearly had a heart attack when I saw my average heart rate was 186bpm. Ouch. I really cant complain though, my body let me survive the 60 mins without having any intensity training in the lead up at all, so I am super happy with my result considering. 
We headed back to our accommodation to rest up. Ice baths all round, showers and one by one we got into the fantastic Normatec Recovery Boots kindly provided by Feelgood Fitness in Bendigo for the weekend. Wowzas those things are cool! We really are being looked after by the best in the business. Thankyou Feeldgood! Speaking of being looked after, Vons mum had been hard at work in the kitchen, and her and Von cooked a beautiful risotto. Yum! By the way Di, we are all moving in :)




Day two was an early start. Firstly we ducked into Gove Cycles to meet the lovely ladies on their 
womens ride group. What an inspirational bunch they are! Such a privilege to meet them. 
Then it was TT faces on, and we travelled to Burrumbeet for the day. When you arrive at Burrumbeet and you see a wind farm in the background, you know its going to be fun! Before we knew it we were on the bikes and doing a course recon. We had never ridden together in a Team Time Trial before, so we were working ourselves out, the course out, and talking things over. Feeling a little unsure, we lined up at the start line, and we were off. Our super TTer and current Australian Masters Time Trial Champion, Von, lead us out. It was a block head wind for the first 2-3km, then we turned left into a cross head, but strangely it felt downhill, which was good. We were rolling pretty smoothly for a group which hadn't practiced until today, and we were feeling great! The turnaround went ok, having only rehearsed it once, it was a little slow, but at least it was smooth. We probably lost a few seconds after the turnaround, as I was now at the front, and am renowned for being to keen and going to hard too fast, I probably stalled a bit too much. Oh well, we rolled home just as smooth as we rolled out, we now had a cross tail to get us through the rolling sections. When we turned the corner for the 2 km section to the finish we had the wind in our sails, and crossed the line at approximately 60km/hr. We came in eighth, we were pretty stoked at how it felt, how smooth we were. I think everyone rode fantastic, and huge kudos to Von, who was the fearless leader throughout the process, definitely drawing on her experience, her talent and her form.



That afternoon we had Stage 3, a 56km road race. The wind had picked up even more, and given the havoc it had caused earlier in the day, causing another team to crash, it was going to be a race of tactic. We headed off into a block head wind, and the pace was easy. Lucky, because I had zero warmup, I was also lucky I had my mum and my aunty there to put up with my stressed rants over my own poor preparation and time management, and to help get me to the start line. It was all pretty civil until the first sprint, the bunch got a bit strung out, but soon came back together. As to be expected, as soon as we veered left and it switched to a cross head wind, the dominant teams put it into the gutter, and although the pace wasn't terribly high, the combination of wind and a few uphill sections caused  gaps and riders dropped off. Von was unfortunately caught in a bad spot just after one of the climbs, and someone in front of her dropped a wheel. Nikolina and I also got caught out by others dropping wheels, but we managed to stay on the back of the bunch. Starting to feel better and better, I moved up to the front. We veered left again and whoohoo a tailwind! I jumped on a Bicycle Superstore riders wheel and she attacked. A small group formed, I was happy I was in it as it was a classy break, but the peloton soon chased it down. I sat near the front for a while with Tayla. Becoming bored with the lack of action, I figured Id have a crack. I attacked with about 15km to go. Nobody came with me (damn it), but I looked back and they didn't seem too interested in chasing. I stayed away for around 3km, I wasn't a threat to GC, but a Suzuki Brumbys rider bridged across to me, and I guess she was a threat, because Holden got on the front and drove it. They caught us just after we turned into the crosswind section again. Knowing I only had one more match in the box, I sat in. Tayla and Nikolina were around me, good. Jo Hogan from Bikebug attacked and got away until 1km to go. Tayla and I were playing up the front 20 in the sprint. A full tailwind had the speed to around 64km/hr. The peloton enveloped Hogan and I nearly run straight up her behind, dodged that luckily. After that Tayla and I were too far back to contest a sprint, but finished in  the main bunch with Nikolina. 




Straight back to ice baths, space boots and Vons mums cooking, on the menu was chicken pesto pasta, delicious! It was also our team entry into Peta Stewarts Twitter cooking competition. The wind howled all night outside our rooms, toying with our minds for the next days stage.

Sure enough, we woke and it was blowing a gale. Upon arriving at the spectacular Kryle Castle Peta Stewart reported it was 40km/hr gusting to 50. Oh joy. Our team was ready to go, but the start was delayed by 30 mins. There goes the warmup! Finally we were off for the 86km road race. It was three laps of a big squarish type circuit, and at the end of the third lap we would turn off it and approach the 2km climb from a different angle. Our plan was if it stayed together that Von, Tayla and I would look after Nikolina, and she would climb her heart out at the end. Unfortunately it didn't really unfold that way, because of the wind. The first lap was ok. The back section had a howling crosswind and had us in the gutter fighting for wheels. But when we turned again we had a head wind, which slowed the front down and gave us a rest. It was good to have my teamies around me all the time, we were all encouraging of each other, and helping each other out in the crosswind sections. Lap two was a similar event, the first crosswind section wreaked more havoc, as the teams up the front, especially Holden, drove it and had it in the gutter. Mind you, Von got into a break in this section! Tough chick. It didn't stick as Holden chased. This caused a lot of riders to be dropped. Over the course of the second lap, the peloton was whittled away. By the third lap, the crosswind had a disastrous effect on the peloton. A break got away, and Holden was driving the pace to get it back for jersey holder Ruth Corset. People were being dropped left right and centre. I suppose I am thankful for living in Echuca and knowing the wind, because it helped this day! by the end of the third lap the peloton was reduced to around 20-25 riders. I was so pleased that I was one of them! It is a long ride in the wind by yourself, so kudos to those who did it alone. I stayed with this group until the wall at 4km to go. It was like a slap in the face to climb that short pinch, and my legs were now fatigued to the point of cramping. I grovelled up it, with some encouraging words from Rachel Ward (thanks Rach), proceeded to the final 2km climb and rode tempo to the top. Thank god that was over! Riders rode in one by one. I cheered the rest of my teamies across the line. Final NRS for the season complete, we debriefed and said our goodbyes.

Thankyou to everyone who helped out on the weekend. Firstly to our manager Nik McNamara, who has a qualification in herding cats, To Von, her mum (Dianne) and her dad (Jack) for welcoming us into your beautiful home. To Cheryle and Gary, our wonderful support staff, thank you for giving up your weekend to come and help us! We couldn't have done it without you. Thanks also to Emma who wasn't riding due to work commitments but supported us on Saturday and Sunday. Thankyou to my mum and my aunty for coming to watch, I really needed you on Saturday!  Thanks also to Feelgood Fitness for the use of the recovery boots, its amazing how much they work!




With the wrap up of NRS for 2014, Id like to make a few thankyous. Firstly to all the wonderful people who have made this team who it is, the riders, the staff, the official support people and emotional support people. Cheryle, Gary, Mark, Heather, Ash, Shane, Jeff, Jilly (and everybody else, if I have forgotten I do apologise, I am very tired with post tour hangover as a write this). Without the support and time that you guys give to this team it would not be the great team it is.
Also a big huge thank you to our ever supportive sponsors: Feelgood Fitness, Specialized Australia, Bendbal Financial Services, Symes Motors Skoda, Pro4mance Sports Nutrition, Bendigo Cycles, Aussie Butt Cream, and Flight Centre Active Travel. Without your continued support we could not do what we love doing, and that is to raise the awareness and encourage bike riding as an activity, to be leaders in our communities, to promote and share the products and services we truly believe in, and help build stronger healthy communities.
Thankyou also to race organisers, staff and volunteers for working so hard to provide the platforms at which we race, we understand it takes a great deal to organise and run events, and it is very much appreciated.
So on behalf of BC Womens Squad, we thank all of you from the bottom of our hearts for all that you have done for us throughout the year, and we are looking forward to NRS 2015 already.

 T

No comments:

Post a Comment